RE: Index Rebuilds

From: LoughMiller, Gregory <Gregory_LoughMiller_at_bscc.bls.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:26:37 -0400

we have ran in cost based mode since the beginning(723,734,806, and 815)

We analyze ALL objects once a week. We perform this on a Sunday evening to run most of the evening and thru the Monday early AM hours.. It's the least offensive time in our shop to run this. We will typically perform a compute on most of the objects. But on some of the objects-we will use "estimate" due to their size or processing at that time of day. We have found on the large objects that the estimate of 20% is really accurate when we compared the results to a "compute"..

But whenever you rebuild a table, rebuild the indexes--perform an analyze.. We bit the big one a couple of times by forgetting to run the analyze. We would start digging into performance problems-see full table scans.. And it would hit us-NO STATS!

We got in the habit of running the analyze 1x/week, and storing the results in a secondary table afterwards. We would use that data to trend objects for capacity planning, inconsistencies(1 week-10k rows, the next week 1k, etc..), and tuning..

But I would run a test of your environment with the applications where there are no stats on the objects. And repeat the test after you have analyzed all of the objects.. I have seen some environments where RULE base worked better...

Greg

Author: cyril
  INET: cyril_at_stockholding.com