Re: Naming standards and conventions

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 00:12:23 +0100

Linda Hagedorn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone established standards for naming instances/databases/data files,
> or know of a site where standards or guidelines are published?
>
> I realize it is a matter of art. I'm finding different standards, and am
> looking for a rule-of-thumb.

Instance names tend to be fairly arbitrary here, but generally reflect the initials of the name of the project. Disks mounted for Oracle data are named /ora01, /ora02 etc. Individual datafiles are named for the instance, the tablespace, and a sequential number reflecting the order in which they were added. Data files within a particular tablespace are all of the same size. So I might have

/ora01/PROJ_SYSTEM_01.dbf   100M    System tablespace
/ora02/PROJ_DATA_01.dbf     500M    First 'data' tablespace datafile
/ora02/PROJ_DATA_02.dbf     500M    Second 'data' tablespace datafile
/ora03/PROJ_INDEXES_01.dbf  200M    First 'indexes' tablespace

etc.

If I need to separate a user, for example because they are running large loads or batch jobs, I will create a brand new datafile and tablespace for their schema, and leave them within it, and might give them their own rollback segment too. These can be removed when they are finished, and just helps to keep the rest of the tablespaces "clean".

Oracle publish OFA (the "Optimal Flexible Architecture") which will guide you, but ultimately it will depend on the individual circumstances of your organization.

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire