RE: Hot backup files, FTP to different box, recovery session canc

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 18:25:52 -0700

Did you have to apply any archived redo logs to the new database at all? The normal way of doing what you want, or at least the way I have done in the past is: On the original database, alter database backup controlfile to trace; copy the datafiles which were part of the hot backup to the new machine, do not copy the control files, and of course the online redo logs are not part of the hot backup; modify the result of the file created by the backup control file to trace command, change the names of the files to reflect their locations on the new machine, set the database name to the new one, comment out the alter database open command; replace it with the following, alter database reset logs; and recover database using backup controlfile to trace; the system will then ask you to apply the logs, these will be archived redo logs from the original system which you'll have to rename, you can now recover until the database is nearly as current as the original;
again reset the logs open the database and you're done. You can do a log switch on the original and use the created archived redo log to make the copy as current as possible. As far as the name changes, there won't be any change to the sequence, but the new system will expect its archived logs in the directory specified by its controlfile, and will expect them to be named as per that controlfile.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu
Author: Linda Hagedorn