Re: COBOL Batch programs on OS/390 accessing Oracle DB on SUN ...

From: Paul Smith <PSMITH__at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:32:51 -0400

Rob,

Be advised also that you are moving from an EBCDIC code environment to an ASCII environment. Your data will be sorted in a different order on the UNIX database. In some instances this will only cause output to appear in a different sequence. However, if your programs do any processing that depends on the order of the order of the data, it will appear out of order. The biggest difference is that the numbers sort after the letters in EBCDIC and before the numbers in ASCII.

Another difference is that DB/2 considers that the day runs from 00:00:01 to 24:00 and Oracle goes from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59.

You may also see performance differences because of the different optimizers.

Cheers,

Paul