RE: Tablespace Backup question

From: Rachel Carmichael <>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:50:50 GMT

I need to bring in the backup class notes from the internals classes.

Colin is right.... and Oracle keeps both a header and footer section where the information is used to reconcile which blocks need "recovery"

this is from memory, I'd have to look up my notes to be certain

>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <>
>Subject: RE: Tablespace Backup question
>Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:15:35 -0800
>On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 wrote:
> > Actually, no. Oracle continues to write to the file *exactly* the same
> > in hot-backup mode, with the exception of the checkpoint SCN. Also,
> > blocks (not change vectors) are written to the redo log. You can find
> > details about this at various web sites or in Velpuri's Backup Handbook.
> > Not sure if it's discussed in the Oracle Docs.
>I believe what you're saying, though I would like to at least confirm
>this. It seems *QUITE* weird to me. What if half a block (say 16k
>blocksize) had been written, and the OS context switches and then the
>other process starts reading the file. I mean how does Oracle avoid
>datafile corruption?
>Perhaps based on the SCN, Oracle knows that it needs to cleanup those
>datafiles for all transactions after a certain point, so doesn't worry
>about it. When you startup the db from the hotbackup, the files *ARE*
>corrupted then, but Oracle knows from the SCN where to recover from, and
>starts reading the redologs and writing those changes to the right places
>in the datafiles. I guess that might make some sense.
>I need to do some reading.
>to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at Received on Tue Jun 06 2000 - 07:50:50 CDT

Original text of this message