Re: Oracle 8i - the space wasting pig

From: Andreas Jung <ajung_at_sz-sb.de>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:15:12 +0200

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 01:59:34PM -0800, John Barron wrote:
> UTF8 default is 2 bytes as it allows for all NLS char sets to be stored
> including japanese etc. I dont think you can change it.

This is what I mean "space wasting". There is no need store *every* character of a string to be stored in 2 bytes. This is a really problem. Why should I need 20GB of disks to store just 10 GB of data that contains very few 2 byte characters like german umlauts....

Andreas Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 06:15:12 CDT