Re: Oracle 8i - the space wasting pig

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 21:09:51 +0100

Andreas Jung wrote:

> This is what I mean "space wasting". There is no need store *every* character of
> a string to be stored in 2 bytes. This is a really problem. Why should
> I need 20GB of disks to store just 10 GB of data that contains
> very few 2 byte characters like german umlauts....

Andreas,

If this is a problem, you'll have to take it up with the International Standards Organization, not with Oracle. I'm sure Oracle's engineers have the skill to create a 9-bit character set, but they have no control over what UTF8 is. :0)

If you are really worried, use HTML-style entity encoding and 8-bit characters. Here is an example of what I mean (it can be cut out and pasted into an HTML file and viewed in a web browser).

<HTML>
Souffl&eacute;
</HTML>

I couldn't think of a word with an umlaut in it offhand.

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire