v$sgastat Shared Pool records and init.ora parameters

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:55:59 -0300

Has anyone been able to match entries in v$sgastat with the values of = their
init.ora parameters?

Niemec, Rickard J. et al., Oracle Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques: Proven Solutions from the Experts at TUSC, p. 569 says that the 33 or = 36
Shared Pool records in v$sgastat make up the Variable Size entry in = v$sga.

Alomari, Ahmed, Oracle8 and UNIX High-Performance Tuning, p.196 says = that
the variable size in v$sga is mostly determined by the init.ora = parameters.

Just being curious as usual. <grin>

I still feel I don't understand exactly what happens inside the Shared = Pool,
how its size is determined (there always seems to be a lot of free = space in
there, and the hit ratios vary wildly for each type of object), and = what the
different components of it are (e.g. what is the PL/SQL DIANA?! It's = not a
reference to the Princess of Wales, I 'm sure. There may be some info = on
this buried in the /rdbms/admin scripts somewhere, I remember DIANA = being
mentioned in a comment in one of the scripts. Could it be a = subcomponent of
the library cache?).

Some of them are pretty obvious, like=20 enqueue_resources
Library cache
sql area
Processes
db_block_hash_buckets

If anyone can point me toward a white paper or a book that would link = the
impact of the various init.ora parameters to the Shared Pool = structures,
that would be wonderful.

TIA
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>=20 Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 13:55:59 CDT