RE: v$sgastat Shared Pool records and init.ora parameters

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:16:55 +1000

Hi Patrice,

Have you seen my "Oracle Internal Services"? Here is what it says (p83f) ...

"The size of the variable area of the SGA is equal to the large_pool_size, plus the shared_pool_size, plus the size of the permanent memory arrays. The total size of the permanent memory arrays can, in theory, be calculated from the settings of the initialization parameters. However, you need to know the formulae used to derive the array sizes from the parameters, the size of each type of array element in bytes, and the sizes of the array headers where applicable. These all change from release to release, and there are also operating system dependent differences. You also need to be aware that each permanent memory array is aligned on a memory page boundary to optimize memory addressing, and so some space is left unused."

Thus those authors are right; it is just rather difficult to do in practice. There is a fair bit more information on the internals of the shared pool in my book, but not much on the library cache or dictionary cache. The acronym DIANA is explained on my web site. Use the search box.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/