RE: core_dump_dest = /dev/null?

From: Heidi E. Schmidt <heidi_at_cybercom.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:53:54 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Steve for the info.
Good to know.

Personally, I feel uncomfortable ignoring output files. I'd rather use a crontab entry to run a cleanup script of mount points than just leave something to develop worse problems.

I think I'll try to see with a couple of tests whether I can

  1. leave out the directory altogether (see what happends on my dev box and where the trace files go)
  2. point it to /dev/null and see if it doesn't want a directory instead like another person mentioned

why? because it got me thinking about it ;^) Thanks

        heidi

> Speaking of buffer overflows, Steve:
>
> I was reading an old article by Indra Lahiri(1996) on this subject at
> www.fors.com/orasupp/d2k/plus/2171_1.htm.
>
> Someday, I'll have to see whether his formula is still valid.

 -%---%---%---%----%----%----%----%---%----%---%----%----%----%----%---%---%--  "What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,

	 which is the exact opposite."
 			        -- Bertrand Russell, "Skeptical_Essays", 1928