Re: Primary & Foreign key constraints

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:42:15 -0400

On Tue, 23 May 2000 10:31:08 -0800, Colin Shaw wrote:

>Whilst I agree that it's a disadvantage not having the RI enforcement at=
 the
>database, I have worked on quite a few systems that did not. I wouldn't=
 go
>so far as to call the designer "an idiot", because most, if not all, =
were
>legacy systems that had been designed before many databases even *had* =
RI
>syntax. They all "enforce" RI by "do-it-yourself" FK/PK lookups (using
>indices, of course.) =20

Yes, I've worked on several such systems. One was more or less a simple port of indexed files to Oracle tables. It was an old legacy app and not worth the time to rewrite.=20

Also, years ago, I knew people who did the RI at the app level because placing it in the database caused performance problems. Relational databases were not always as robust and powerful as they are now.=20

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com =20
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 12:42:15 CDT