Re:RE: PRO C

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:44:05 -0400

The most useful manuals I've found are the Oracle PRO*C/C++ Precompiler Programmers Guide and a copy of the ANSI C standard. Thankfully Oracle replaces their manual every year or so, but my C standard is getting VERY worn. Looks like I need to buy a new one.

SQLCA.SQLCODE is always set to 0 when the last call was successful. There are only two positive values 100 & 1403 which mean the same thing for all practical purposes, 'NO DATA FOUND'. Any negative value is an Oracle error that needs attending to.

BTW: Although PRO*C is a longer build process (you've got to run the code through the precompiler before the compiler), I like it much better than OCI. OCI has had changes made to it over the years that are not always backwards compatible nor function the same way. I believe it's also harder to maintain & the learning curve is much steeper.

Subject: RE: PRO C
Author: Oliver Artelt <oli_at_cubeoffice.de> Date: 5/23/00 10:20 AM

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Thomas L. Harleman wrote:

> Pro*C is an Oracle precompiler for the C language.
> If you don't know C then you won't understand Pro*C.
> After creating a Pro*C source file, the Pro*C precompiler is used to create
> C calls to Oracle interface functions and procedures.
> Check out technet.oracle.com for more information...

...And what is more efficient Pro*C oder C++ with OCI8 interface?

oli

Oliver Artelt                                     Jordanstr.7, 39112 Magdeburg
mailto:oli_at_cubeoffice.de                    Tel: 0391-6112820 Fax: 0391-604243
http://www.cubeoffice.de
Author: Oliver Artelt
  INET: oli_at_cubeoffice.de