Re: timed stats

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:42:26 -0400

I've never measured more than a 2% increase. It's better to leave it on= .

--
Chuck Hamilton
QVC Inc.

                                                                       =

=20
"Uppal, Inde" =
=20
<Inde.Uppal_at_che To: Multiple recipients = of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> =20 lwest.org> cc: (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON= /QVC) =20 Ext: NA Subject: timed stats =
=20
Sent by: =
=20
root_at_fatcity.co =
=20
m =
=20
=
=20
=
=20
05/17/00 05:13 =
=20
AM =
=20
Please respond =
=20
to ORACLE-L =
=20
=
=20
=
=20
Jared, I wonder if you could clarify this for me, the oracle tuning manual say= s that timed_stats can give up to a 10% overhead. Thanks Inde -----Original Message----- From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_bcbso.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 4:57 PM To: Steve Orr Cc: Oracle-L Jared's List; oracledba_at_lazydba.com Subject: Re: Anyone using statspack? (new for 8.1.6+ only) Steve, Check out http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/00-Mar/o20tun.html if you haven't already seen it. It is an article on StatsPack. As for having timed_statistics=3Dtrue, the overhead is negligible. I turn it on in all databases. Jared On Wed, 10 May 2000, Steve Orr wrote: > Anyone using the new statspack which became available as of 8.1.6? It= looks > like a worthy replacement for bstat/estat. (See the files matching > $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/stats*.) It provides a sample DBMS_JOB to ga= ther > stats every hour on the hour but to do this properly they want you to= have > timed_statistics =3D TRUE all the time. > > What are the pros/cons of having timed_statistics permanently turned = on? I > know some of the 3rd party monitoring tools want it on all the time. = I'm > thinking about collecting "performance snapshots" on a periodic basis= with > cron so I can toggle timed_statistics on/off. > > Any recommendations or feedback on timed_statistics? > > Anyone enthused about or have feedback on statspack? > > Statspack was covered in the March/April issue of Oracle Magazine. > > > Steve Orr > > > > -------- > If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.co= m (updated daily) > to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk > to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk= > Jared Still Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist=A0 ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private -------- If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com (updated daily) to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co= .uk to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.=A0= If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from= your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or discl= ose its contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confide= nce. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,=