RE: wait events

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:45:58 -0400

They may or may not represent a problem, depending on the type of application. They indicate that there's a lot of waiting for disk i/o. If it's a data warehouse application it's probably normal. If it's an oltp application, then you may be able to reduce them. Look at your db_buffer_cache hit ratio and try to improve it. Here are a couple of things to try

  1. Increase the number of block buffers.
  2. Look for smallish tables that are frequently scanned. Often these tables are used as code tables in joins to get a code's description. Pinning them in cache improves the overall hit ratio.
  3. If it's a peoplesoft application and you have the process scheduler running, pin the PSPRCSRQST table in cache. It's scanned every 10 seconds by the process scheduler and unless it's pinned, the scans force it to end of the LRU list where it's constantly being removed from the cache.
  4. Try increasing the db_file_mutltiblock_read_count. This can reduce wait times on table scans. You can alter this one at the session level to test different values.
  5. Make sure you're not doing unnecesary table scans by indexing columns frequently used in WHERE clauses. -- Chuck Hamilton QVC Inc. Enterprise Technical Services Oracle DBA
                    Deepak Sharma
                    <sharmakdeep@        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    yahoo.com>           cc:     (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON/QVC)
                    Ext: NA              Subject:     RE: wait events
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    05/16/00
                    07:34 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Hi All,

We are getting large waits for 'db file sequential read' and 'db file scattered read' on the production system. How has your individual experience been on changing (increase/decrease) the db_block_buffers and db_file_multiblock_read_count in such cases ?

Thanks,

Deepak

=== message truncated ===

Do You Yahoo!?