Re: analyze indexes

From: Rajagopal Venkataramany <rajagopalvr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 16:26:47 GMT

Hi Gregory,

  My observations on the situation :

  1. If you do not drop the indexes before the load process, if the load volume is high, you might end up spending more time loading the data. Generally, it is not a recommended practice.
  2. Analyze is an independent step. The table statistics do not get updated automatically. So irrespective of whether the index is there or not, the analyze command need to be fired independantly at the end of the load operation.
     Again, whether to issue a analyze command depends on the volume of
     data that has been added. If the volume is in-significant then we
     do not have to analyze the tables/indexes as they would not matter
     anyway. This is not true if the load volume is high.

Regards
Rajagopal Venkataramany

Author: Gregory Conron

   INET: gconron_at_hfx.andara.com