Re[2]: Oracle on Compaq Alpha under TRU64

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:32:06 -0400

Ok, I'm missing something here. To build and populate a database, from a full DB export, on the Compaq ES40 that we were demo'ing took in excess of 2 hours. Doing the same on an HP9000 N2000 class took only 45 minutes. I've got to go back to a very old HP9000 847 to get performance similar to the Compaq and at that the build/import time was a grand total of 1 hour & 55 minutes. Sure the Compaq is cheaper that the HP hardware, but for an application that has a design response goal of less than 5 minutes something here is dead wrong.

Subject: Re: Oracle on Compaq Alpha under TRU64 Author: "Frank Evans" <evansf_at_ohsu.edu>
Date: 5/5/00 2:54 PM

Oracle on Compaq Tru64 (4100's and ES40's) in our evaluations and environment are extremly fast. More bang for the buck than HP, Sun etc.

thanks frank

>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 5/5/00 11:18:50 AM >>>
Hey Folks,

    The other day three of us from my company went down to a Compaq site to try out an Alpha 440MHZ machine with TRU64 as the OS. To put matters in a short sentence, performance was a joke at best. I'm rather inclined to believe it was the particular machine we were using as it is used for lots of demo work & is consequently a mess. Do any of you TRU64 users out there seeing the same performance???

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Vicor Corporation

Dilbert's Salary Theorem

    Technicians & Engineers can never earn more than Managers. This is because:

Power = Work/Time
Knowledge = Power
Time = Money
therefore Knowledge = Work/Money
Solving for Money gives Money = Work/Knowledge Now as Knowledge decreases to 0, Money heads for infinity regardless of Work.

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Frank Evans
  INET: evansf_at_ohsu.edu