RE: Tune for 'db file sequential read'

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 09:14:55 -0400

We ran into the same problem with PS HRMS. Coverting the database to CBO and analyzing improved the panel response time (OLTP type of queries) immensely. But it destroyed performance on many SQRs and queries run by the query tool. We ended up doing serveral things. For some queries we created views with embedded hints and tuned the SQL to speed up access. We also discovered a way to trick the query tool into passing hints to the DB. If you make the first column a calculated field or expression ( I forget what they call it ), you could embed hints in it that the DB would recognize. For other jobs that we couldn't get to run under CBO well at all we created a 2nd instance that gets refreshed every night on a DSS system and ran that one under RBO.

--
Chuck Hamilton
QVC Inc.

                    Deepak Sharma
                    <sharmakdeep@        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    yahoo.com>           cc:     (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON/QVC)
                    Ext: NA              Subject:     RE: Tune for 'db file sequential read'
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    05/04/00
                    06:05 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

I am relatively new to the client here, so I'm picking
up things from where the previous DBA had left. The PS
financial development had/has been using RULE, while
production is running under CHOOSE. Now, the PS
Financial is on track of merging with PS Order
Management, which BTW uses CHOOSE. My suggestion of
changing their development also to CHOOSE so as to
have everything in Sync., AND Analyzing the entire
Schema, has created gains in some queries, but it has
also degraded some (one of them is where I suggested
using RULE hint). So, I believe the change is going to
take its own course, or does someone has a quick
suggestion how to go about this transition from RULE
to CHOOSE so as to cause minimal changes to the code.

Thanks,
Deepak

--- Rajagopal Venkataramany <rajagopalvr_at_hotmail.com>

__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/ -- Author: Deepak Sharma INET: sharmakdeep_at_yahoo.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message