Another SGA Question

From: Jeff Wiegand <jwiegand_at_ancept.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 09:16:25 -0500

We are putting an e-commerce system together for a portal site. The platform is Solaris 2.7/Oracle 8i/Apache/Jrun. We are experimenting a little bit with setting the shared_pool_size. I know enough to, well, experiment; but cannot give definite answers. The default shared_pool_size sizes defined in the init.ora for small, medium, and large are quite different then what Oracle sets during a custom install. So what is the truth?

We have 1.5 gigs of memory, and this is dedicated to Oracle and the OS. Database access will involve mostly reads.

In general, should I follow Oracle's guidelines and set shared_pool_size to 9M?

If I'm going to provide more memory for Oracle, would I look only at increasing the db_block_buffers?

This will be turned over to a production DBA at some point - I just don't want to look like an idiot. Received on Fri May 05 2000 - 09:16:25 CDT