Re: Listener Problem

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:03:04 -0400

The SID name isn't in the init.ora file. The DB_NAME is which is not necessarily the same. Check the oracle services on your NT server. I think the service you're looking for is called "OracleServiceXXX" where XXX is the sid name. Make sure that's what's specified as the SID in both your listener.ora file on the server, and your tnsnames.ora file on the client. On the client it may be specified as SERVICE or SERVICE_NAME in the connec_data section.
--

Chuck Hamilton
QVC Inc.

                    Winnie_Liu_at_in
                    fonet.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Ext: NA              cc:     (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON/QVC)
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Listener Problem
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    05/05/00
                    01:25 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Have you configure the tnsnames.ora file?

Winnie

"Balu Sethuram Srinivasan" <balusrinivasan_at_hotmail.com> on 05/04/2000 04:55:29 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Winnie Liu/HQ/ISC)

Dear Oracle gurus,

I am having a problem to connect to my database server, which is Oracle 8.0.4 under Windows NT.

Whenever I am trying to connect from my PC, I am getting error message as

ORA-12505: TNS: listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

Cause: The SID in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the listener's tables. This error will be returned if the database instance has not registered with the listener; the instance may need to be started.

Action: Check to make sure that the SID specified is correct. The SIDs that are currently registered with the listener can be obtained by typing "LSNRCTL SERVICES <listener name>". These SIDs correspond to SID_NAMEs in TNSNAMES.ORA, or
DB_NAMES in the initialization file.

But I am giving the oracle_sid correctly only, as I checked with my init.ora
file.

Just yesterday only I installed Oracle in a new development server, Listener
is running very much, as I checked in Services under control panel. Am I missing anymore steps after installation?

Please update me to get connected with oracle server from my pc.

Thanks in advance

Balu Srinivasan.

Author: Balu Sethuram Srinivasan
  INET: balusrinivasan_at_hotmail.com

  INET: Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Fri May 05 2000 - 09:03:04 CDT