Index Rebuilds and Extents

From: <Lisa_Koivu_at_gelco.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:09:19 -0500

Hello everyone, happy Friday!

I am overhauling an index rebuild script. The indexes in this script are dropped and rebuilt nightly. Yesterday when I was revisiting storage, my goal was to see if I could get the minimum number of extents possible when rebuilding each index, so I re-set my initial extent size to be large enough, in some cases 150M (non partitioned). However after doing so I began to wonder, am I exacerbating fragmentation by doing this? Even if each index is dropped and rebuilt nightly?

So here's my question to you:

What's better: Having an index all in one extent or having uniform extents in the tablespace that the indexes reside in? After thinking about it I'm beginning to lean toward uniform extents.

Your input is appreciated.
Thanks Received on Fri May 05 2000 - 10:09:19 CDT