Re: Drop-down box in PL/SQL? (kinda long!)

From: Garry <garry_at_weir.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 11:23:02 +0100

Hi David,

In your first attempt you want one htf.formSelectOpen before you go into the loop,
one htf.formSelectClose after you come out of the loop and NONE within the loop.

IN your second attempt get rid of htp.tableData altogether, and move htf.formSelectClose
beyond the loop.

You are trying to work with two languages at once, worse - you are using Oracle functions for the HTML.
Your brains are gonna fry.
If you are going to be doing this stuff seriously, you are going to have to learn HTML. Once you know it,
the only procedure you need is htp.p.
It is much easier to pump in the HTML directly than to go through the extra translation of the Oracle functions.

Regards

    Garry

> Good evening folks,
>
> I'm trying to populate a drop-down box in a web page. I've tried all
kinds
> of stuff (including RTFM - "Oracle PL/SQL Programming","Oracle Application
> Server" and "Oracle8, The Complete Reference"). I've tried OTN, and
> downloaded a bunch of .pdf stuff, but can't figure this out. Here's a
> sample of one of my iterations (I've tried quite a few):
>
> OPEN c_employee;
> LOOP
> FETCH c_employee INTO employeeRec;
> EXIT when c_employee%NOTFOUND;

p.tableData(htf.bold( htf.fontOpen( csize
> => '-1') ||
> 'Employee ID: ' ||
> htf.fontClose) ||
> htf.formSelectOpen(cname => 'employee',
> cattributes => ' tabindex="3"') ||
>
> htf.formSelectOption(substr(employeeRec.employee,7)) ||
> htf.formSelectClose);
> END LOOP;
>
> This one gives me multiple option boxes, every selection creates a
>
> IF c_employee%ROWCOUNT = 1 THEN

p.tableData(htf.bold( htf.fontOpen( csize
> => '-1') ||
> 'Employee ID: ' ||
> htf.fontClose) ||
> htf.formSelectOpen(cname => 'employee',
> cattributes => ' tabindex="3"') ||
>
> htf.formSelectOption(substr(employeeRec.employee,7)));
> ELSE
>
> htp.tableData(htf.formSelectOption(substr(employeeRec.employee,7)));
> END IF;
> htp.formSelectClose;
>
> This gives me the first name in a drop-down box, and the rest just written
> out in a line on the page. Anybody have an idea on how to this that
they'd
> care to share?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David A. Barbour
> Once a fledgling DBA, now forced by circumstances to be a piss-poor
> developer.
> --
> Author: David Barbour
> INET: DBarbour_at_connectsouth.com

> All internet traffic to this site is
> automatically scanned for viruses
> and vandals.

All internet traffic to this site is Received on Fri May 05 2000 - 05:23:02 CDT