RE: Data Warehousing - RAID5 or RAID0-1

From: <George.Brennan_at_warnermusic.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:02:37 GMT

Hi,

RAID 0+1 is preferable, but RAID5 is cheaper in the long run.

Either way, LOTS of devices on LOTS of channels.

Don't let the SA's make uninformed decisions and remember Oracle works best spread across LOTS of 'spindles'.

Don't get suckered into logical volumes where you mix RAID levels across the same set of devices, e.g.
 4 x 9g /u0 raid 0+1 @ 4.5 /u01 raid 5 @ 13.5g

you want
  4 x 9g /u0 raid 0+1 18g

George.