Re: Data Warehousing - RAID5 or RAID0-1

From: <CHUCK_HAMILTON_at_qvc.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:24:22 -0400

DWs are typically high read, low write applications. RAID-5 should be f= ine
for all but TEMP tablespace, RBS tablespace, redo logs, and archived lo= gs.
RAID 0+1 is also good but requires twice as much disk.

--
Chuck Hamilton
QVC Inc.

                                                                       =

=20
"Surjit =
=20
Sharma" To: Multiple recipients o= f list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> =20 <surjits_at_ozema cc: (bcc: CHUCK HAMILTON/= QVC) =20 il.com.au> Subject: Data Warehousing= - RAID5 or RAID0-1 =20 Ext: NA =
=20
Sent by: =
=20
root_at_fatcity.c =
=20
om =
=20
=
=20
=
=20
05/05/00 09:14 =
=20
AM =
=20
Please respond =
=20
to ORACLE-L =
=20
=
=20
=
=20
Hi I need your thoughts on RAID0-1 vs RAID5 configuration on very large d= ata warehousing project. The expected data is going to be about 1 Tera byt= e, 10 Giga byte Memory, Sun box E6500 , Oracle 8.1.5. I am told that for data warehousing RAID01 (mirroring and striping) is= the good balance between=A0 RAID5 and no RAID at all.=A0 Does anyone has a= ny experience on this? I will be delighted to hear your thoughts. My main consideration is to be able to load the data in the given wind= ow (overnight) and good response time for the queries.