RE: Migrating Oracle

From: Deshpande, Kirti <>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:45:54 -0500

We are in an identical process now. Migrating from 7.3.4 and (yes, we survided Y2K !) on HP-UX 10.20 to HP-UX 11.0. The path we chose was to migrate to 8.0.6 on 10.20 first. And then transfer databases to newly built machines running HP-UX 11.0 and Oracle 8.0.6. This way, we assumed, there would be less 'surprises' from Oracle s/w side. We did not run into any problems. The next phase is to upgrade on HP-UX 11 from Ora 8.0.6 to 8.1.6. We stayed with 32-bit Oracle on HP-UX 11.0. We do not have any Appl to take advantage of 64-bit processing and our SGAs are not approaching 2GB size either. However, the Developers were a bit concerned about large sizes of their Pro*C and Pro*COBOL executables on HP-UX 11.0. Answer to that was to convert to PL/SQL procedures as much as possible, which will be undertaken soon on Dev machines.