Re: sql-plus variable error?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:01:30 -0400

SQL*Plus treats a period after a substitution variable as a special character marking the end of that variable name. That allows you to place characters immediately after a variable, but in your case it's causing you problems.=20

Try doubling up your periods. For example:

        INSERT INTO &SCHEMAOWNERTO..HpxCatalog(

I'm 99% sure this will work. I can't test it at the moment. I'll be really embarassed if it doesn't work<g>.

regards,

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com =20
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:10:21 -0800, you wrote:

>When I run this file in sql-plus, and I enter the two variables (two =
schema=20
>names)at prompt, say 'testfrom' and 'testto', I got the following error =
in=20
>sql-plus:
>
>'INSERTINTOHPXCATALOG:'
>insert into HpxCatalog:
>INSERT INTO testtoHpxCatalog(
> *
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
>

>I thought I would get "INSERT INTO testto.HpxCatalog(" stuff with a dot=
 "."=20 Received on Fri Apr 28 2000 - 08:01:30 CDT