RE: Tablespace reorg tools

From: McGlaughlin,Stewart <mcglaughlin_at_attws.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:53:58 -0400

Deepak,

I believe COMPRESS=Y will resize the initial extent, but the next extent will remain the same size. If initial was 16K and next was 16K, and you have inserted a few thousand records, and export with COMPRESS=Y, oracle will recalculate the initial (so all records fit in the initial extent) *but* the next extent will still be 16K. This is usually a *bad* thing.

I know that's the case with v8.0.5 on DG.

Does anyone know if the same applies to v8.1.x?

Stewart McGlaughlin
Oracle DBA
On-site at AT&T Wireless Services
Oracle Links @ http://www.pobox.com/~dba/oracle stewartm_at_iname.com