RE: Tablespace reorg tools

From: Oak, Sameer <Sameer.Oak_at_CWUSA.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:59:46 -0400

Jarad

Even we have pct_increase = 0 ??
Is it oracle 8 feature??

I believe 7.3.4 doesn't support this.

Sameer

-----Original Message-----
From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_bcbso.com] Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 11:53 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: RE: Tablespace reorg tools

Why would you see an increase in fragmentation?

You may see more fragments in the free space, but they will be coalescable.

Part of Oracle's extent allocation algorithm is to coalesce free space as needed.

Whether you coalesce it up front, or wait until you actually need it, the effects on fragmentation will be the same.

Jared

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Gregorio Ortiz wrote:

> boys||girls
>
> Effect of pct_increase 0
>
> If one uses PCT_INCREASE 0, you will see an increase in fragmentation. I
> usually use 1 in order for the tablespaces
> to coalesce automatically via SMON. Unless you are proactive and manually
> coalescing the tablespaces at regular intervals, you will be fine. By all
> means, do not leave the default of 50%.
>
> /gxodba

PCTINCREASE
> is 50.
> You must specifically set it to zero if you want to have full control over
> your extents.
> I set all of mine to zero in the DEFAULT STORAGE clause when I create a
> tablespace.
>
> HTH,
> Ron

Truncating
> > is
> > the first step in reorging tables. I wish I could truncate some of my
> > tables
> > daily.
> >

> > achoto_at_american.edu on 04/25/2000 10:09:03 AM
> >
> > Please respond to achoto_at_american.edu
> >
> > To: "oracle list" <oracle_at_telelists.com>
> > cc: (bcc: Lisa Koivu/GELCO)
> >
> > Subject: Tablespace reorg tools
> >

> > We're having problems with two tablespaces that have plenty of free
space,
> > but, Oracle doesn't seem to recognize it. We truncate some tables and
> > reload them every night, but once in a while one or two large tables
fail
> > to load because the next available extent is not large enough. All of
our
> > tables have an initial extent of 81920, 50% increase, minimum extents 1,
> > and maximum extents 1017. I suspect that the 50% increase may be the
> > culprit. Do we need to look closely at this and maybe change it?
> >
> > We're on Oracle 8.0.5 in a Sun box. By looking at the tablespace map I
> > can
> > see that there appear to be a lot of fragmentation. There are many free
> > blocks scattered in the middle, but everything to the top and bottom of
> > the
> > tablespace appear full.
> >
> > My question is, other than exporting, dropping the tables, and importing
> > them, is there another way to reorganize the tables in the tablespace?
> > We'd like to do this with as little disturbance to our users as
possible.

> > Are there any tools that someone out there in Oracleland can recommend
> > keep track of fragmentation and to reorganize tablespaces?
> >
> > Any light that someone in this list can shed will be greatly
appreciated.

> > Thanks
> >
> > Ana E. Choto
> > Systems Programmer
> > American University
> > Office of Information Technology
> > Phone (202) 885-2275
> > Fax (202) 885-2224
> >

> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to oracle as: lisa_koivu_at_gelco.com
> > or visit the Oracle mailing list on the Web at:
> > http://www.telelists.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=oracle
> >

> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to oracle as: rdmorton_at_switch.com
> > or visit the Oracle mailing list on the Web at:
> > http://www.telelists.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=oracle
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to oracle as: gortiz_at_houston.omnes.slb.com
> or visit the Oracle mailing list on the Web at:
> http://www.telelists.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=oracle
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to oracle as: jkstill_at_bcbso.com
> or visit the Oracle mailing list on the Web at:
> http://www.telelists.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=oracle

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_bcbso.com