Unable to protect memory installing ORACLE 8.0.4 on AS 1000 under DU4.0d

From: Rustam T. Usmanov <rustam_at_ruslan.ru>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:23:18 +0300 (GMT+0300)

Dear all,

I have a problem installing Oracle 8.0.4 on AlphaServer 1000 with 256M of physical memory under DU4.0d. Installation of the Oracle Enterprise (RDBMS) (MTS with creation of DB objects) failed at the stage of DB creation with the following message in
$ORACLE_HOME/admin/$ORACLE_SID/create/crdb$ORACLE_SID.lst:

Connected.
ORA-27122: unable to protect memory
Digital Unix Error: 22: Invalid argument Additional information: 18
create database "orat"
*
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
Disconnected.

It means that mprotect() call failed with EINVAL error. But what next, except the call to the Oracle Worldwide Support?

At the same time I successfully managed to install the same product on AlphaServer 400 with 128M under DU4.0d. I set Oracle's recommended SHM kernel parameters in both cases.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Rustam
--
Rustam Usmanov, senior researcher <rustam_at_unilib.neva.ru> Open Library Systems Center, St.Petersburg State Technical University Address: 29, Politekhnitcheskaya str., St.Petersburg, 195251, Russia Tel/fax: +7(812)-552-7654 <http://www.unilib.neva.ru/olsc/> Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 10:26:09 CDT