Indexing "free text": How?

From: Brian Rankin <brankin_at_TAURUS.FWL.ORG>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 18:06:12 -0800

I'm designing a small Oracle database that will incorporate a "comments" field for each item in the database. Users will be able to enter any desired text into this field relating to the item that's part of that record.

I need to make this "free text" field searchable - IOW, a user enters the word "abend" into the app and the application searchs the comments field & returns all records that contain the word "abend". What's the best way to make this happen?

I'm running Oracle 7.2.2.

Sincerely,

Brian Rankin
brankin_at_WestEd.org Received on Tue Jan 23 1996 - 21:24:12 CST