Re: interesting Forms4.5 questions

From: Bobby Spears <bobby_at_TROJAN.NETA.COM>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 22:51:25 GMT

Hi Paul,

> 1)Is there any way to code for ctrl-click on a mouse?
> I can do shift-click OK.

Yes, there is. Check the value of a system var called

        :SYSTEM.MOUSE_BUTTON_SHIFT_STATE in your When_Mouse_Click trigger. The value is always a character string and  can be any of
the following four values depending on what key was being held at the time of  the click.

                        'Shift+'
                        'Control+'
                        'Alt+'
                        'Shift+Control+'

> 2)Where is the mapping for oraterm stored? Do I need
> one control file for each client, or is the key mappings
> some kind of oracle system variable?
Actually, your OraTerm resource file is designated in your Oracle initialization  file. You
can, however, designate a file of your choice in your login. No, you don't need  a copy for
each client. You might want to look for more details in your local neighborhood  Oracle
Terminal users guide... I'd hate to steer you wrong. ;)

> 3)How is everyone handling data validation? I put it
> in the DB and do some spot checking on the client side at
> commit time. Are you folks checkinf after each field,
> or what? --- just curious to see what everyone likes
IMHO, I like to do as soon as the user will let me. In other words, at the item  level.
I've worked with users from both sides: some want to know that they've made a  mistake right
away, and some want to fill in the whole thing (canvas, screen, etc.) and go  back and make
corrections when they're ready to commit. Obviously, you still need validation  at the dB
level in case your database is accessable outside of your application (i.e.  through
SQL*Plus).

> 4)What are your favorite GUI standards books. I am
> reviewing several, and ... yuck.
Ditto.

HTH

 Bobby Spears (Via Maggie)               bobby_at_neta.com
 Oracle Corporation               bspears_at_us.oracle.com
 (602)941-6826                              Phoenix, AZ

 "Feel the fear... and do it anyway."