Executing complex cursor from Powerbuilder returns ORA-1037

From: Andrew Gie <agie_at_SMTPOFF.CTCC.GOV.ZA>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:28:53 +0200

     I had the same thing with Oracle when trying to process a large table (approx 250000 rows). The DBA pushed the maximum cursors up as much as possible but we soon ran out of memory and got stack problems.

    I managed to figure out that it was the "ORDER BY' in the cursor which was causing the problem. (presumably the temporary table space used for sorting was using the available cursor space - incidently an ORDER BY clause will ALWAYS cause a sort to take place even if the column in question is a key column).

    The solution we found was do away with the ORDER BY clause unless the logic of the program actually required it - where it did we left the ORDER BY clause in but split the run into several smaller runs with several WHERE qualifiers. Hope this helps. Received on Thu Jan 18 1996 - 02:49:21 CST