Re: Help !!! Suggestions !!! Solutions !!! Required.

From: John Flack <JOHNF_at_SYNMHS.USA.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 09:09:14 -0500

> We are looking for replication features in Oracle. We have databases in
> different offices, and these databases have to be consolidated at the head
> office. Any update to the database in the branch office should be
 replicated
> in the head office with in a specified time. The transfer can take place
 over
> a telephone (Dial Up) or satellite link
> NOTE : We don't want a distributed option.
>
> We want to know 1. whether these features are available on
> oracle 2. and on which platform (OS) ? 3. What are the over
> heads and there any limitations ? 4. Can Field level replication
> be done ?

What you need is available in Oracle 7.1.6 and later versions. It requires the Symmetric Replication Option over and beyond your basic Oracle software, and works on all platforms that can communicate over SQL*Net. You do have to make sure that your systems are communicating with one of the supported SQL*Net communications protocols (i.e. TCP/IP, SPX/IPX, X.25) at the time of each scheduled update - Oracle won't make the connection (dial the phone, etc.) automatically - it depends on the operating system to provide communication services. Received on Tue Jan 16 1996 - 09:21:09 CST