Re: emailing the poster vice the list

From: Scott Mattes <smattes_at_INTERSERF.NET>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 14:10:15 -0500

Wanna know why it is better to email directly to the person instead of posting to the list.

Did you know that there are 1429 people signed up for this list? And 29 of them don't want you to know who they are.

As you know, each piece of mail sent to the list is copied to each of those 1429 people. So one request of 'please send that to me too', with headers (at least 8 lines of 80 characters), and signature lines (at least 2 lines of 40 characters), generates about (26 + 8 * 80 + 2 * 40) * 1429 = 1,066,034 bytes. Multiply that times the number of requests (I think at least 10 or more) and you have over 10megs of
'me too' requests.

Not to mention that each of those 1429 people are receiving mail that they don't want and have to take time to purge it.

Not to mention that your request is being stored on the computer hosting this discussion for the rest of eternity (well, at least until the Second Coming). If older messages are purged to keep the database from getting too large, then important things are lost and
'junk' is kept.

Did you know you can search the stored posting for this list? Since I am asking for a reduction of bandwidth useage I will include that information here.

Send the following to LISTSERV_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu;

// JOB ECHO=YES
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES CPULIM=99:00 OUTLIM=2000 //RULES DD *
SEARCH 'your search word/s herel' IN ORACLE-L SINCE dd-mmm-yy INDEX
PRINT Of course you must replace 'your search word/s here' with what you are looking for (no quotes needed for a single word) and you don't need the SINCE dd-mmm-yy if you want every match. PRINT is optional as is INDEX, but you should have one or the other or you are wasting your time and the computer's time.

For more information on using listservs send another email to the listserv address with HELP in the body. That will return alittle information about what else you can ask for. Keep asking and you will see just how clever Eric (the guy who wrote the real listserv code) is.

Scott Mattes
I-Net, Inc.

We are free to choose what we will do, think, say, be, but we are not free to choose the consequences of those choices. Received on Sun Jan 07 1996 - 16:40:01 CST