Re: Number of Datafiles

From: Darrel Johnson <darrel.johnson_at_CITICORP.COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 09:24:08 -0500

Hi,

   I have had to adjust the number of datafiles before. It was on ver 7.0.16    I used the command
   ALTER DATABASE dbname BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE NORESETLOGS;    to make a copy of my control file. I edited my pfile to increase    the number of dbfiles, and edited the trace file to increase the max    number of files and remove the extra lines at the top of the trace file.    I also add a line for the pfile location after the startup nomount line    in the trace file. Then I shut down the instance, rename the existing    control files, and run the trace file from within oracle. This will recreate    the control files, and reset the max number of files. I then shutdown the    instance and start it up again using our normal startup. These are the steps    that oracle provide me and they are also in one of the manuals. Not counting    the amount of time it takes to do a backup, This process takes about 15    minutes. Hope this helps.

   Darrel Johnson