Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS
IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #267856] Sat, 15 September 2007 14:49 Go to next message
nabeel_nab

I am using forms 6i ,recently i got a new task from management that they want to buy LCD customer display for point of sales computers
and then they want me to do video and invoice item display on this LCD display . now i will have to monitors connected to one computer.
can i control all these by using forms 6i.please provide me a starting point i will dig it.
please send me resources how to display image on back side lcd screen with in forms 6i. do i need any other software support.
my email is nabeel@almusbah.com
Thanks in advance
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268227 is a reply to message #267856] Tue, 18 September 2007 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
How about making your form so big that it covers both screens?

I don't have twin monitors on this PC so I can't test it for you.

David
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268447 is a reply to message #268227] Tue, 18 September 2007 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As I've understood it, he'd like to have two "views": one which would be used by cashier (and viewed on one monitor), and another one which would (on another monitor) display item and price of a product currently scanned by a barcode reader (so that customer might see what's really scanned, how much it costs etc.).
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268519 is a reply to message #268447] Wed, 19 September 2007 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
LF,

Have you got twin monitors to test whether a form can spread over them both?

I believe I understand what he wants and I can see no reason why two blocks displayed on the same canvas spread over two screens would not give him the result that is being sort.

David
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268591 is a reply to message #268519] Wed, 19 September 2007 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I apologize; I didn't understand that you understood it.

I don't have twin monitors either, but ... I *think* that if a window is maximized, it spans both monitors so left side of a form (i.e. one of the blocks) would be displayed on one monitor, while right side would be on another one.
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268595 is a reply to message #268591] Wed, 19 September 2007 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
That's all that's needed isn't it?

David
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268630 is a reply to message #268595] Wed, 19 September 2007 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I believe it is.
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268728 is a reply to message #268519] Wed, 19 September 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nabeel_nab

Yes i got two monitors to work with. i tried to make one form with large extended canvas but the canvas is not appearing on other screen.but if move any icon on my desktop to extended desktop area that program is opening on second display. i want oracle form to be use by pos cashier and on the second display customer can see promotions and prices.
i am thank full to all of you people who are advising me .
Regards
Nabeel
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268829 is a reply to message #268728] Wed, 19 September 2007 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Can you open a new form using 'open_form' and get it to start on the second screen?

David
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268855 is a reply to message #268829] Wed, 19 September 2007 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Also have a look at 'move_window'.

David
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268859 is a reply to message #267856] Wed, 19 September 2007 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I have done considerable work with POS systems, but... I have not done what you ask specifically. Lack of experience has however never stopped me from opening my mouth to give advice so here goes:

I see one option off the top:

1) you need an operating system that supports applications on two different monitors, most do these days so no problem there

2) you need to understand the features of your operating system and video device drivers to know how to use multiple displays at the same time. Again I see people doing a lot of this at work so can't be that tough (I never had a need myself).

3) you need to find out if the monitor you are being asked to use is special in some way, specifically, ask if they provide multi-monitor support software. If you are just using plain jane LCD displays then you your OS and video card will have alrady provided what you need.

from here I suggeset the following:

1) your normal application
2) a second oracle form to be run in an independent forms session and displayed on the second monitor by using the multi-monitor software provided by your operating system, and/or devices.
3) do asynchronous communication between forms. This could take several shapes:
a) go old school, do something in the database with autonomuos transactions, database triggers and database alerts.
b) use advanced queueing to do your communication.
4) based on your communication vehicle, your second form would would either listen for a database alert, or it would listen for work on a queue.
5) when the second form finds work to do (as evidenced by a message it recieves either through the alert, or the queue), it would do the work, then go back to listening. Make sure your "listen" is a cpu friendly wait (alerts and advanced queueing both support this).

all sounds very do-able, and even interesting.

Good luck, Kevin
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268868 is a reply to message #268728] Wed, 19 September 2007 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Please also look at http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88668/67467/ and make sure you have a version of Forms that can handle multiple monitors if you intend using a 'menu' or 'button' on the second screen.

David
Re: IS IT POSSIBLE IN FORMS [message #268991 is a reply to message #268595] Thu, 20 September 2007 06:50 Go to previous message
nabeel_nab

Thank you very much to all of you people for your valuable advices
good wishes for you.
Regards

Previous Topic: Stacked canvas and tabs
Next Topic: Form from 10g to 8i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:08:43 CDT 2024