Re: Buffer busy wait clarification

From: Chintu <agarwalp_at_eeism.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2006 03:02:46 -0800

Thanks to all, but I still have some doubts

>>A process that wants to insert a row reads the
>>pointer and locates the block identified by the
>>pointer, and tries to insert the row in that block.

IS this block in the buffer cache or in the datafile currently? I assume in the buffer cache.

My understanding is whenever you are inserting in a table, a block pertaing to that segemnt is read, If it finds space in that block that use it. It updates the buffered segment header with the freelist info.

  1. Is my understanding right?
  2. What happens if the block does not have enough space for the new insert. Where does it get the space from for sucessful insert in the BUFFER CACHE ???
Thanks
Chintu Received on Thu Mar 23 2006 - 05:02:46 CST