Re: new to Oracle's miracle.

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:13:46 GMT

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:50:16 -0800, oracle.is.a.miracle wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I am student of Computer Applications Vth semester.
> I am learning ORACLE for the first time.
> I wanna practice Oracle Database Admin. tasks but I have only a single

If you are using Linux, start with Oracle 10g. If you are using Windows, start with Oracle9i.

The reason for this suggestion is that Oracle provides guided tutorials in these platforms at their "Oracle By Example" site which you can find by looking at the various links on their "Oracle Technology" [OTN] site at http://otn.oracle.com. Once you have mastered the examples, you can then switch between versions and platforms to your hearts content.

All documentation is also available from the OTN site, under the 'Documentaiton' link. Alternately you can start at http://docs.oracle.com or http://tahiti.oracle.com ... which ever way you go, start by looking closely at the list of books for the product and version of interest, followed with an in-depth reading of the "Concepts" manual, then the "Administrator's Guide". Once you have absorbed those, read any specific concepts manuals to be able to understand the related reference guides in areas that are relevant or of interest to your projects.

> Also the query system of-course SQL*PLUS and PL/SQL I wanna study them
> also.

If you want to learn to program this stuff, then *learn* the SQL language. Don't stop at the basic SELECT statement, really learn it. Good books include "Mastering Oracle SQL" published by O'Reilly, and you can measure your progress by how long it takes to understand any article by Joe Celko. Turn to SQL *before* turning to PL/SQL, as a very large amount of commercial PL/SQL code I've seen clearly demonstrates the developer doesn't understand SQL.

> Please help this Beginner in the Oracle's World!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but please understand that the Oracle DBA world is pretty crowded, there are a lot of unemployed DBAs, and there are not a lot of jobs available. Certification does not help getting hired as much as experience, so it's going to be tough for you to get a job if you don't already have a sponsor.

> Great Bye to all Readers!

g'luk/FGB Received on Mon Feb 28 2005 - 07:13:46 CST