Re: Read the manual? What you talkin' bout Willis?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2005 17:48:13 -0600

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com wrote:
> OK, so maybe this is sorta tongue-in-cheek but the underlying question
> is valid ...
>
> As a developer and Oracle Applications System Administrator moving
> into the DBA world of Oracle and E-Business Suite and lurking in this
> group for some time I've seen many replies to questions suggesting
> "read the manual", "check the docs", etc. and I have no problem with
> those statements. My question is: what is your process for
> researching the vast documentation Oracle provides so that the answer
> is found as quickly and efficiently as possible?

Tahiti has a really nice searching capability. But, I truly like to start at the index of books

http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db10g/portal.portal_demo3?selected=3

and know it well enough that I just know where to go. If I don't know the books well enough to know how to start, then I just reread them all to the level I need to understand where to go.

This index looks the same across releases, so knowing where to drill is something I just take upon myself to understand.

--
Galen deForest Boyer