Re: Read the manual? What you talkin' bout Willis?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:55:30 +0100

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:31:56 GMT, Steven Kondolf <skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>So when a question arises that you don't know off the top of your
>head, what process do you follow to find the answer i.e. do you ALWAYS
>research the Oracle cd's first, or Google, OTN, etc. What's your path
>to finding the answer?
>
>Maybe suggestions here will help others in formulating a research
>plan.
>
>Now I'm sure someone will tell me to read the manual of available
>manuals right? ;-0

The docs do have a thing called 'Master Index' don't they? And tahiti is searchable.

Actually the plan is quite simple.
Syntax errors end up in the 'Server Messages Manual' and/or the 'Sql reference manual'

Other errors end up in the 'Server Messages Manual' and/or the 'Oracle Server Administrators manual'
If they are sqlnet specific they end up in the Net Administrators manual. The Net Administrators manual even comes up with a troubleshooting chapter. This adresses the most common errors like ora-12154 or ora-12560. Given the multitude of posts pertaining to those two errors, it is read by no one.

If you need to know something conceptual and/or methodological you either read the Oracle Concepts Manual and/or the Oracle Applications Developer Manual.

If you need to know anything about tuning, the Oracle Performance Tuning manual.
If you need to know anything about the dictionary views, you either look up the Oracle Reference manual, or the <view name> reference note on Metalink.

Metalink will also have notes which explain how to address the most common errors. And yes, ora-12560 is among them.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA