Re: Oracle backup/recovery

From: Dale DeRemer <dderemer_nospam_at_agmc.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:42:09 -0500

<bdbafh_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> it depends.
> are you backing up the controlfile as part of your user-managed backup
> routine?
> e.g. SQL> alter database backup controlfile to 'path' reuse;

Interesting. If I'm doing a complete system backup, why would I need to backup the controlfile in that fashion? That is, once we are in backup mode, we do a complete system backup, all disks.

> you could practice this by 'cloning' the database via restoring a hot
> backup set, archived redo logs and creating a new controlfile for this
> new database. this subject is covered extensively elsewhere.
> -bdbafh

I wish I could practice. Our platform is AIX and we here in IS are not provided any "luxury" items, like test boxes. A great deal of what we learn here is on production systems. I know it's crazy, but I am not in a position to change that. I'm just the trained chimp who tries to make things go.

You say restoring from a hotbackup is covered elsewhere? Care to recommend a site? I know a search is easy to do, but picking a good result from the chaff isn't quite as easy.

Thanks. Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 13:42:09 CST