Re: exp/imp on different OS.

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2005 06:15:22 -0800

F. David wrote:
> Hello,
>
> because I never did an exp/imp between Windows and Linux, I would
like
> to ask you wether it is possible to do an export on Windows, ftp or
> scp the file to a Linux- Server and import it there into the Oracle
> Database. Versions of the DB are both 9iR2.
> Thanks for help
> F. David

Export and Import is the ONLY option if you want to migrate a database between different platforms (e.g. Windows to Linux in your case) OR different versions (e.g. 9i to 10g OR 9i to 8i)... although you can do in place upgrade from lower to higher version if on the same machine and if certified.

Just make sure that you ftp the dump file in binary mode.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 08:15:22 CST