Re: Would be really nice if...

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:44:43 GMT

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:57:57 +0000, Haximus wrote:

> Can't argue with that, except that if you want your products exposed to the
> largest market possible then you cater to what your customers want. If they
> have vendor X's product and don't want to make the capital outlay to adopt

Perhaps my lack of greed is my downfall. Capital outlay by the customer is not as important as both personal satisfaction and returning customers. I despise having to work through code a second or third time because I did it wrong or because it performs poorly due to compromises.

I simply explain to my customers that a 'one size fits all' approach in databases feels as comfortable as 'one size fits all' in shoes - may be acceptable if you're only walking across the street, but try walking in them for days on end and the doctor's bills start having an impact.

> vendor Y... they will not choose your product. If you are in the business
> of serving your customers then you tell them what you can and will do and
> cater, not the other way around. BTW Thom Kyte makes a living giving
> technical advice not business advice.

I find that Tom's books make a lot of business sense when you eliminate the artificial distinction between CapEx and OpEx (initial outlay and long term costs).

Being in the business of serving my customers in the long run & looking for repeat rather than one shot business, I do discuss the short term vs. long term benefits. If they want a short term gain, they go elsewhere, if they want long term gain, I frequently get the contract.

Gives me a comfortable income and I can sleep at night because it fits into my philosophy. To each his own - ymmv.

We are now into philosophy and heavily OT. I quit now - rebutt away <g>

FGB Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 06:44:43 CST