Re: Would be really nice if...

From: Haximus <e_at_t.me>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:22:41 GMT

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:ovhr115c65eng26rgku4fn61efujk66v2v_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:05:17 GMT, "Haximus" <e_at_t.me> wrote:
>
>>> Oracle's heirarchical queries predated most of the standards. It would
>>> be
>>> silly for them to retract something after it's become popular.
>>
>>If you rely on such features and develop products with multi-vendor
>>support
>>in mind it's not a trivial thing, though I definitely prefer Oracle's
>>syntax
>>to the standard way. I also prefer not to have to type select lists of 97
>>columns for a table that has 98... you can call me lazy, for that matter
>>perhaps we should go back to keeping records on clay tablets, because all
>>this modern technology stuff is really just rewarding the 'lazy' ;)
>>

> Who types up 97 column names in a select statement? Spool a DESC
> MYTABLE, then open up the spooled file with your favorite editor and
> do a few quick edit commnds to format the list into a SELECT
> statement. Snip, paste, done -- with no chance of a typo to boot.
> Thanks.

A good option but I do it with java... I use the metadata to script together select lists with my homemade utility, I really hate repetitive typing. I recently had a case where I had to create a number of views, substituting just one column from other tables. The exclude option would have been great. Received on Thu Feb 24 2005 - 09:22:41 CST