Re: Would be really nice if...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:33:59 -0800

Haximus wrote:

> ...if there was a select_list:: feature to do wildcard selects on columns,
> then EXCLUDE specified columns, e.g.:
>
> SELECT * EXCEPT UNIT_NO, ETC, ETC ...
>
> Oracle, will ya get on this right away!!!!
>
> ;)

Sounds like a desire for disaster to me. Consider the following:

CREATE TABLE t (
col1 NUMBER,
col2 NUMBER,
col3 NUMBER);

INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,1,1);
COMMIT; SELECT * FROM t EXCEPT col2;

ALTER TABLE t
ADD (col4 NUMBER);

SELECT * FROM t EXCEPT col2;

That ought to break just about everything except SQL*Plus.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington