Re: Oracle 9i:Downtime mandatory for 'Cluster offline' patches. What about with Oracle 10g?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:35:06 -0800

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> qazmlp wrote:
>

>> Could anybody clarify this? Thanks!
>>

>>> With Oracle 9i, Cluster Downtime(all DB instances in all nodes must be
>>> stopped) was mandatory for installing 'Cluster Offline" patches. Is
>>> the situation different now with Oracle 10g? If yes, I would like to
>>> know whether there are any cases where Downtime is still mandatory for
>>> Oracle patches.

> Not certified to clarify (not into clustering), but
> rolling updates, as it is/was called, will probably
> not emerge before 11i.
> The mechanism should have been in 10i, rel2, iirc.
>
> Could anyone (Mark T, Daniel M) comment on this?

Depends on the patch. There are some where you can off-line a single node, patch it, bring it back online and continue until all nodes have been patched. There is a possibility of patch enhancement with 10gR2 which is coming soon but I can not comment on what is or is not in it. Perhaps Mark can.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington