Find a better plan than that computed by the optimizer ??

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2005 06:47:28 -0800

Hi,
Did any of you *ever* manage to find a better plan than the optimizer by appropriately hinting your query ?
The only time I succeeded in finding a lower cost than it, it was (thanks to a 10053 trace) because it reached the same cost for a NL and a HASH but kept the nested loop in its final solution => I hinted with the USE_HASH and it appeared that for the same cost calculation the hash join was much quicker.

But can you be, sometimes, better than the optimizer, could it be that it missed some join combinations or whatever ?

Thanks a lot.
Spendius Received on Tue Feb 22 2005 - 08:47:28 CST