Re: Oracle VMWARE aware?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:35:16 GMT

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:29:15 +0000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Does Oracle 10g, 9i run under VMWARE? Would it be possible to run
> several servers of different version in different virtual machines under
> VMWARE on a big fileserver?

In answer to the first question, I recommend checking the link titled "Install Oracle and Linux on Your Own VMware Virtual Machine" found at http://otn.oracle.com

I am not sure why you would want different version of the Oracle server each in it's own virtual machine. It is perfectly acceptable and feasible to run several versions of the server in one real or virtual machine.

However if you insist in separate VMs, the primary issues I foresee include potentially degraded performance as the VMs keep switching, and possible Oracle Networking port conflicts for the listener (something easily resolved in config files).

FGB Received on Mon Feb 21 2005 - 09:35:16 CST