Re: Newbie

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:24:52 -0800

gonzalez.peter_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all I've just been nominated to start training for Oracle. I've a
> network administrator for 5 years and have managed to keep away from
> Oracle...any tips on where I should start. We currently use Oracle 8
> and are getting ready to upgrade to version 8.1 or 8i...one of those. I
> would like to learn how to implement and setup databases from the
> ground up. Any information on what materials to read would greatly be
> appriciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

The first thing you should know is that Oracle 8i was deprecated as of December, two months ago, and you folks ought to be using 10g or, worst case 9i.

That said go to http://otn.oracle.com and get a free download of the Enterprise Edition of the database so that you can practice the entire thing on your own machine where you can have full privileges and the ability to make a huge mess which is the best way to learn.

Finding a mentor in-house would also be a good idea as well as looking for a local Oracle user group. There is a very close to complete list of user groups at http://www.psoug.org. Click on User Groups.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington