'Transactional' Snapshots, and the LAX parameter of dbms_refresh

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:10:37 GMT

Group,

A while back I posted a question about how to make a snapshot 'transactional', meaning it won't truncate upon refresh. Few quickly advised to just stick it into a snapshot group with another 'fake' snapshot (e.g. one selecting from dual). I thought we'd use a 'fake' snapshot all over the place, but as I was reading dbms_refresh doc

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_refrs2.htm#94060

lax
 A materialized view can belong to only one refresh group at a time. If you are moving a materialized view from an existing group to a new refresh group, then you must set this to true to succeed. Oracle then automatically removes the materialized view from the other refresh group and updates its refresh interval to be that of its new group. Otherwise, the call to MAKE generates an error message.

" A materialized view can belong to only one refresh group at a time." Is this true? so we'd have to create multiple fake snapshots to be used in 'transactional' groups?

Thanks
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Tue Feb 15 2005 - 10:10:37 CST