Re: difficult RMAN archivelog requirements

From: vm22 <vivekmarwaha_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2005 00:40:33 -0800

> There will be up to 24 copies of a single archived log file. I tried
working
> with the 'copies' option, however I found it was really refering to
the
> number
> of backup pieces not the indivigual archived log file.

Firstly, you should not need 24 copies? That aside, each destination will be different - therefore, your clause of 'format' tell RMAN where the files are and the filename format.
1. So, what exactly is the problem here?

> The first backup statement will work. As I do a log switch before the

> backup.
> However the second may fail if there is not a logfile older than 1
day. This
> is an issue as I grep for RMAN-00569 in the log file generated. Thus
I would
> get a true error but not really one I'm looking for.

So, the problem is with the second statement. You are looking for an end-of-stack error code (to see if RMAN has errored I presume). 2. What error does RMAN report if there are no logfiles over 1 day? 3. Even if you get this error message, can you not ignore it?

Generally - you should seperate out the archivelog deletion and the RMAN backup. As you have mentioned, you will be backing up to tape in production, therefore, there will be a Media Manager involved. Create a job in the Media Manager to delete archivlog files that are older than one day. Create a separate job to run the rman backup of all the files in the archivelog directory (skip inaccessible).

Vivek Received on Mon Feb 14 2005 - 02:40:33 CST